705 East 4th St.

Hallettsville, TX  77964

361-798-3243, ext. 200

w0rth1ng1959@gmail.com

1851 - JUNE 1852

No documented building and/or

businesses on this block during this time period.


Hebron Tolleson Private School

On July 2, 1850 Collatinus and Mary Jane Ballard sold sold three acres of land of land adjacent to the SW corner of Block 8 to Hebron Tolleson.  It is likely that the school conducted by Tolleson was situated here. 

In the first months of 1849, a school was listed in Hallettsville, when it was designated as the election box for the town.  Hebron Tolleson, a native of Tennessee, was possibly the teacher at the time. 

Hebron Tolleson
1850 Census School Teacher
Married Amanda Rebecca Bennett 13 June 1849 in Lavaca County Texas
Amanda was the sister of Dr. M. B. Bennett


References:
*Lavaca County Deed A/522
*Free State of Lavaca p. 169
*Hallettsville Tribune Jan. 22, 1974
*Lavaca County Marriage A/31


Block 8 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas. 

BLOCK 8

BLOCK 8

BLOCK 8

On June 5, 1852, M.B. Bennett and Josiah Dowling purchased 3 acres adjacent to the south west corner of Block 8 from John and Emily Buchanan.  The deed included all tenement, apparatus and improvements on the land.  

Prior to the sale, the property had been the location of first the Tolleson Private School and second the Buchanan Private School.  

Reference:
‚ÄčLavaca County Deed B/159

Block 8 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas. 

1846 - 1850

JULY-DECEMBER 1852

John Buchanan Private School 

On July 14, 1851, Tolleson sold the three acres of land to John Buchanan who continued to conduct a school in that location.  The school was located on three acres of land of land adjacent to the SW corner of Block 8.

John Buchanan was educated for the priesthood but forsook the calling to come to Texas in 1836 and become a teacher.  Buchanan followed Hebron Tolleson as the teacher in Hallettsville; in 1852, he sold his holdings in the town and moved to Austin, Texas where he conducted a school in 1853 and 1854 and was employed as a translator in the Land Office.  He died in Austin, Texas in 1859.

References:

*Lavaca County Deed A/560
*On the Headwaters of the Lavaca and the Navidad p. 62 & 68



Hallett & Ballard to Lavaca County (Block 8 Lot 1 - 8)

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/207

On June 5, 1852, John  and Emily Buchanan to M. B. Bennett and Josiah Dowling  3 acres adjacent south west corner of Block 8 all that message, tenement, apparatus and improvements. 


Reference:

*Lavaca County Deed B/159

Block 8 is located south of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, LaGrange St. on the east and Main St. on the west.  The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas.