705 East 4th St.

Hallettsville, TX  77964

361-798-3243, ext. 200

w0rth1ng1959@gmail.com

1851 - JUNE 1852

Lavaca County to Dowling and Kelly (Block 20 Lot 1 – 8) Dec 1853


​Masonic College​ (here is information on the Masonic College)

  
1853: In 1853 the Masonic Lodge undertook to construct a private school for boys. The Alma Institute did as much for the girls.  A building committee of J. W. Kelly, Isaac J. Foster, Maryland Jones, B.B. Walker and J.J. Ballard was appointed.  The committee and other solicited donations and pledges to finance the project, and in time they contracted with A.K. Foster to construct a building 60 feet long, 30 feet wide and 3 stores high, with an observatory on the roof.  The building was located on a site donated by John W. Kelly and Josiah Dowling on Block 20 on Fourth St.

Reference:
​*Free State of Lavaca p. 171

Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. 

JANUARY - DECEMBER 1854

JULY - DECEMBER 1852

Block 20 

Block 20 

JANUARY - DECEMBER 1853

Block 20 

No documented buildings and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

Block 20 is located east of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Fourth St. on the north, Fifth St. on the south, Alma St. on the east and Texana St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot 80 varas X 80 varas. 

No documented buildings and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

Hallett & Ballard to Lavaca County (Block 19 and 20)

Reference:
*Lavaca County Deed B/207

1846 - 1850

Masonic College (Block 20 Lot 1 – 8)