705 East 4th St.

Hallettsville, TX  77964

361-798-3243, ext. 200

w0rth1ng1959@gmail.com

​Block 2 is located west of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Second St. on the north, Third St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas. 

Dr. Marshall Breazeale Bennett Drug Store Stand (Block 2 Lot 1)

In May 1846, Dr. Marshall B. Bennett, volunteered in Ben McCullough’s Company and served as an assistant surgeon.  Upon his return from the Mexican War, he located in Hallettsville on the NW corner of Block 2, where he set up his office and dispensed medicines. 

While Bennett was already in business before 1850, Collantinus Ballard did not sell the lot to Bennett until December 9, 1851.  


References:
*Free State of Lavaca p. 161 - 163
*Lavaca County Deed B/45
*Headwaters of the Lavaca and Navidad p. 147





A.W. Hicks Hotel & Tavern (Block 2 Lot 2-8)

On May 7, 1852, Collatinus Ballard deeded to A.W. Hicks Block 2 between Second and Third Streets and Front and Main Streets containing 8 town lots measuring 20 X 40 varas each except Lot 1 of said block which had previously been sold to Dr. M.B. Bennett.  The deed stated that the block was the one on which Hicks lived and occupied with a house and garden.  

References:
*On the Headwaters of the Lavaca and the Navidad p.17
*Lavaca County Deed B/443

BLOCK 2

1851 - JUNE 1852

​Block 2 is located west of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Second St. on the north, Third St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas. 

1846 - 1850

BLOCK 2

Dr. Marshall Breazeale Bennett Drug Store Stand (Block 2 Lot 1)

In May 1846, Dr. Marshall B. Bennett, volunteered in Ben McCullough’s Company and served as an assistant surgeon.  Upon his return from the Mexican War, he located in Hallettsville on the NW corner of Block 2, where he set up his office and dispensed medicines.  Collatinus did not give Bennett a deed to the property until 1851.  

Dr. Marshall Breazeale Bennett
Tax Assessor Collector 1848 – 1852
1850 Census Doctor

For more information about Dr. Marshall Breazeale Bennett please read “From Our Pioneer Memories” Lavaca County Tribune Herald Nov. 19, 1974


References:
*Free State of Lavaca p. 161-162
*Memorial and Genealogical Records of Southwest Texas p. 155 – 156




A.W. Hicks Hotel & Tavern (Block 2 Lot 2)

Aretus William Hicks and his wife, Fredonia, arrived in town in 1846 after a short stay in Houston.  Collatinus Ballard staked Hicks to a location for a hotel and tavern on the west side of the town square, diagonally across from Ballard’s log store and adjacent to M. B. Bennett’s office. It was not until five years later, after the hotel was constructed and had established itself, that Ballard gave Hicks a deed to the property.

A.W. Hicks

1846 Tax Roll
1848 Lavaca County Coroner
1850 Census Innkeeper


For more information about A.W. and Fredonia Hicks please read

“Hallettsville’s Name Linked in Romance in Tennessee” San Antonio Express Oct. 13, 1938.  


Reference:
*Free State of Lavaca p. 162

JULY - DECEMBER 1852

Dr. Marshall B. Bennett (Block 2 Lot 1)

           

         From The Texian Advocate, September 4, 1852











​​A.W. Hicks (Block 2 Lot 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8)

            From The Texian Advocate, September 18, 1852












Reference:

*The Texian Advocate Sept. 4, 1852

​*The Texian Advocate Sept. 18, 1852


​Block 2 is located west of the Courthouse square and is bordered by Second St. on the north, Third St. on the south, Main St. on the east and Front St. on the west.   The block is comprised of eight lots each lot being 80 varas X 80 varas. 

BLOCK 2