705 East 4th St.

Hallettsville, TX  77964

361-798-3243, ext. 200

w0rth1ng1959@gmail.com

JULY - DECEMBER 1852

Block 19 - 20 

No documented buildings and/or businesses on this block during this time period.

1846 - 1850

BLOCK 19
Lavaca County to Dowling and Kelly (Block 19 Lot 1 – 8) Dec 1853

BLOCK 20
Lavaca County to Dowling and Kelly (Block 20 Lot 1 – 8) Dec 1853

1853: In 1853 the Masonic Lodge undertook to construct a private school for boys. The Alma Institute did as much for the girls.  A building committee of J. W. Kelly, Isaac J. Foster, Maryland Jones, B.B. Walker and J.J. Ballard was appointed.  The committee and other solicited donations and pledges to finance the project, and in time they contracted with A.K. Foster to construct a building 60 feet long, 30 feet wide and 3 stores high, with an observatory on the roof.  The building was located on a site donated by John W. Kelly and Josiah Dowling on Block 20 on Fourth St.

Reference:
​*Free State of Lavaca p. 171



1851 - JUNE 1852

JANUARY - DECEMBER 1853

No documented buildings and/or businesses on this block during this time period.